Druckansicht der Internetadresse:


Print page

Support for Ukraine

The following information is to help you to find a suitable study and research programme at the University of Bayreuth. The Service Centre for Refugees and Integration and our Welcome Services provide guidance and support for international students, scholars, and their families before, during, and after their stay at the University of Bayreuth. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any further questions.

We recommend contacting the Service Centre for Refugees and Integration for advice on a suitable study or language programme at the University of Bayreuth.  

Application as exchange student or freemoverHide

Would you like to spend one semester/year to study and earn credit points at the University of Bayreuth?
If so, we would be happy to welcome you to the University of Bayreuth. You can join us as an exchange student within the framework of a contractually agreed exchange programme (e.g., via ERASMUS+, bilateral university exchange) or as a “freemover” (a student not covered by an exchange programme).

Here you can find the information about the admission requirements and the application procedure.

Scholarships for exchange students and freemoversHide

In order to support Ukrainian students in continuing their studies at the University of Bayreuth, the Erasmus+ programme offers scholarship opportunities for Ukrainian students coming to the University of Bayreuth as exchange students or freemovers from Winter Semester 2022/23. Depending on availability, scholarships can be awarded for the duration of one semester or one academic year. An application for the scholarship is not required. We will inform you about the possible scholarship with the admission letter.

Application for preparatory German language courses for studies (guest student)Hide

German language skills are crucial to successful admission and enrolment at a German university. As a rule, at the time of application (unless otherwise specified in the relevant examination regulations), proof of German language proficiency at the level of at least B2 must be provided for all GERMAN-taught programmes. Whether level B2, C1 or DSH-2 is required for enrolment in the degree programme you are applying for depends on the applicable examination regulations.

To support you in reaching the appropriate proficiency in the German language, we offer

  • Intensive German language courses (A1-C1)
  • Propaedeutic semester (C1)
  • Preparatory course for language examinations

Here you will find information about the admission requirements and the application procedure.

Applying as a degree-seeking studentHide

Here you will find information about our degree programmes and the application requirements

It is possible to enter the programme in an advanced semester of study if you have already studied for several semesters at a different university. The recognition of credits earned abroad usually takes a long time and might not be approved before the deadline of enrolment. Therefore, we recommend that you apply for the first semester and proceed with your application as a student in an advanced semester of study after you enrol in your study programme at the University of Bayreuth. Please consult the relevant programme coordinator for more details.

Application for doctoral studiesHide

International students who are interested in a doctorate at the University of Bayreuth must first find a supervisor at one of our faculties or institutes. Please check our website for more information.

Funding opportunities in Germany for Ukrainian Researchers at RiskHide

Bayreuth Bridge for Science
The University of Bayreuth has established its own funding programme for scholars fleeing Ukraine. These Bridge Fellowships enable researchers to establish a connection to relevant research groups at the University of Bayreuth and to explore further funding options from this safe location. For more information, please visit the website.

Philipp Schwartz InitiativeThe University of Bayreuth is part of the Philipp Schwartz Initiative and is a founding member of Germany's Scholars at Risk network. It supports international scholars who are threatened by war or persecution in their home countries in continuing their academic work. For more information, please visit the website.

Other funding options
Please check the list of funding options for an overview of other funding opportunities by Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities, VolkswagenStiftung, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, DAAD, DFG and more. For further information, please contact Mirjam Horn-Schott from the Office of Research Support.


I cannot speak German. Can I study in English at your university?

  • Degree-seeking students must have the language proficiency required by the relevant study programme.
  • Exchange students and freemovers are able to take courses taught in English during their time at the university.
  • In general, we recommend that all international students have at least B2-level language proficiency in English or German (depending on the language of instruction).

Are you missing important application documents because you had to flee your home country?
The University of Bayreuth offers a three-step procedure for refugee applicants who are unable to provide proof of their higher education entrance qualification due to their situation:

  • Assessment of personal prerequisites
  • Reviewing the plausibility of the applicant’s educational background in relation to the acquisition of a higher education entrance qualification in the home country
  • Proof of the applicant’s higher education entrance qualification

What kind of residence permit do I need to study in Germany?

For prospective Ukrainian students:

Aside from the usual residence permit for international students studying or preparing to study, Ukrainian refugees can study in Germany with a residence permit according to § 24 AufenthG. Please contact the foreigners' office where you are registered.

For prospective students from other countries who have previously studied in Ukraine:

You will need a residence permit for the purpose of studying.

For this you must:

  • apply for a residence permit for the purpose of studying or preparing to study at the responsible foreigners’ office,
  • have sufficient means of subsistence (at least €10,332 per year). Proof of financial support is possible in the following forms:
  • Blocked account
  • Scholarship from a recognised scholarship provider
  • Submit proof of appropriate German or foreign language skills (admission requirements).
  • Under certain circumstances, the following proof of funding may also be accepted. It is up to the local foreigners’ office to decide whether such proof is accepted.
    • Proof of income and assets from your parents
    • Someone with permanent residence in Germany can provide the foreigners’ office with a guarantee that he or she will cover your expenses.

Webmaster: Sabine Anders

Facebook Twitter Youtube-Kanal Instagram Blog UBT-A Contact